Saturday, October 23, 2010

First Critique

This week in Life Drawing we had our first critique.  It was really nice to see a sample of everyone's work.  It was interesting to see the vast variance in how everyone handled the assignment.  I was happy with my group's critique of my shell drawing.  They thought the diagonal axis of my shell was strong and that the cross contour did a good job of giving the illusion of form.  One thing that was apparent seeing my piece alongside all the others was that I certainly need to work on varying my line weight and shade.  Most of my lines tend to be the same heavy black throughout the drawing.  I could see in a number of the other drawings that varying the weight of lines really helps giving the illusion of perspective, I think my work would be stronger if I worked on varying the weight of my lines.  I missed class on Thursday, but understood from what I was told from my classmates that we did a couple of long drawings and went over our drawings in groups. 

1 comment:

  1. I like the style you drew this shell in. I'm distinctly reminded of a stained-glass window when I look at it. Excellent line variation, too- you managed to effectively vary the line weights in several different areas while keeping them all incredibly smooth. The line that runs down the center of most of the shell is a prime example. Just awesome overall. I may have to save this one!

    ReplyDelete