Saturday, October 30, 2010

The first half of Life Drawing has been a series of highs and lows for me.  Some days I would feel fairly happy with my drawings and other days would be a complete disaster.  I struggled for the first couple of weeks getting the hang of how we are expected to draw.  I found it difficult, at first, to see the internal structure of the model and to build on that skeleton, many times I reverted back to drawing what I was seeing (like a still life).  I also struggled with keeping my lines light in the early stages of a drawing, I have the nasty habit of pressing to hard.  My first shell drawing is a good example of my tendency to press down too hard.

There is very little variation in the shade of my lines which makes the shell seem a little flat.  In honesty I thought I would enjoy working on the manekin more than I do, I've been finding it excessively difficult to understand the textbook images and I often refer to other visual sources to build the muscles.  I think that I am beginning to grasp the drawing style that we are expected to portray, but there's a lot of room for improvement.  I'm looking forward to moving into the shoulders the second half of the semester, that's one attachment that I've found to be a struggle for me to draw as well.  I'm certainly not the best in the class, but I feel like I'm improving, which says a lot for me, I've never been very excited about 2-dimensional media, and, as a result, I tend to avoid them.  I'm finding the structure of Life Drawing to be more relaxed than the foundational drawing courses, and that certainly helps me stay motivated to draw. My mid-term portfolio can be found here.

4 comments:

  1. I can really relate to your feelings of highs and lows, especially towards building muscles on the manekin. It seems like a simple concept but once you are actually doing it and trying to go from 2d to 3d it is quite challenging. Also, I think your shell drawing really turned out nice. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to have had the crappiest of luck when it come to views of my model and your topmost pic looks great! For such an odd angle you did a great job capturing the awkward foreshortening that seems to happen.
    Along with the previous commenter, I have the same highs and lows with the class with the manikin. I also really enjoy your shell drawing, and I think with a bit of work on line weight it'll be even better! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle a lot with shoulders as well. Amy is constantly fixing them in my drawings and even when she draws it out for me I still don't always see what she sees so I understand your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shell drawing creates a lot of interesting space. I feel like it could be even stronger if you used more line variation throughout the form, but it really works because you really show the sharpness of the shell which makes it really feel like a real form.

    ReplyDelete