Saturday, November 6, 2010

 This week in Life Drawing we had our Mid-term portfolios due.  It was interesting to me to go back through my drawing pad and see that my ability to draw in this style is improving.  I still feel like I'm not really grasping it, though, and it's starting to frustrate me. 
We learned this week how to draw the attachments of the knee and hip. Every time we learn a new attachment I feel that my drawings improve slightly.  I am eager to learn the attachment of the shoulder as this is one attachment that consistently gives me grief.  As can be seen in my long drawing below, I have a tendency to make the shoulders too narrow. 
I have started my next shell drawing and it is moving along fairly well, I'm finding it a little bit easier to find the proper placement of the cross-contour lines.  It's definitely easier the second time around. 

4 comments:

  1. The shoulder girdle is definitely a sore spot for me as well. I feel like I just don't understand how to put it all together and in my drawings they're consistently off. I'll be really excited to go over that in lecture so I can maybe start to understand how to draw it correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah the shoulder! I cant wait! It looks way more complex than most other places, (though that can be said about the hip bones also) so it should be a good lecture. Also Cody your gesture drawing in this post is really nice. Very good use of cross contour, and good job leaving out the outline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you about grasping whats going on in class and not at the same time. It's a strange feeling but when I do look around at other people in the classes work, it is noticeable that we are all improving slowly. Learning about new muscles are also still very intimidating to me, and as much as I hate constructing them on the manikins, it is helpful with the gesture drawings. I love your drawing of the model in the chair. I love the cross contour lines you put in, and like I complimented you during the 2nd cross contour critique, it's fun to see your exact lines that you are able to put down. I know for myself I usually struggle with things like that. I have more sketchier marks. Seeing barley any eraser marks on your drawing really shows how much attention you are giving to your subject, Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your addition of contours to your gesture drawings, it adds so much to the drawing without being distracting. The outlines are not needed with these lines, something I haven't quite gotten down yet, but hopefully I will get better at least.

    ReplyDelete